Process for blacklist removal
If you’re a website owner and have noticed that your site/product is on our blacklist, then this is the appropriate process to follow to have it removed.
Some general notes:
- This process is for removal requests from website owners only. If you’re a Stack Exchange user not affiliated with the website and think that a blacklist item should be removed, then please talk to a blacklist manager.
- Even if we do remove your website from our blacklists, past GitHub commits/PRs will still indicate that it had been on the list at some point. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to take down these pages.
- Please don’t be hostile when requesting the removal of your site. It will only increase the likelihood that we deny your request.
- This process can only happen once. If the website appears in a confirmed spam post while the process is taking place, we will revert the term to its original state. If the website is removed, then later re-added to our blacklist, you cannot request that it be removed again.
- To see the decisions behind the design of this process, see this GitHub issue.
- For more on why blacklisting happens and what it means, see Why is this domain blacklisted?
Blacklist removal process
- File a request for your site/product to be removed from our blacklists by creating a new issue on the SmokeDetector repository.
- You must demonstrate that:
- You are an official representative of the website/product in question (proof required)
- You or any other website administrator are not responsible for past spam on Stack Exchange, and have put measures in place to prevent or condemn future attempts to spam SE.
- We (Charcoal) will decide whether to initiate the removal process. If the removal of the site is directly contrary to our project goal or harms our spam checks in terms of functionality/performance, we may deny the request.
- If the blacklisted item has not been caught in any confirmed spam post on Stack Exchange in the last six months, it will be demoted to the watch list.
- If the item is not caught for another two months, it will be removed from the watch list.
- If the item is caught again during or after the removal, our standard blacklisting procedures will still apply, and you cannot request to remove the item from our blacklist again.